Candy Warehouse

Old Time Candy

ACandyStore.com - Yummy Candy, Discount Prices - Feel Like a Kid!

Cool and wacky candy from Japan

The Chocolate/Candy Showdown

Categories: Candy,Chocolate Candy,Holiday Candy

Snowman Sack of Nostalgic Candy

A few days ago, the four year old I take care of came home with a note in his backpack from his teacher. No, he hadn’t exposed himself or anything like that (he saves that for the home); rather, it was a note to all parents telling them that there would be a holiday party later this week and listing contributions parents should send in. Bear with me as I run down the list:

• Cupcakes
  • Juice
  • Cups
  • Plates
  • Donuts
  • Cake
  • Chips or Pretzels
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies

At the bottom of the list, double underlined, were the words “NO CANDY.”

Um, okay… I feel a rant coming on!

Heaven forbid we send in some Christmas themed candy with our donuts, cake, cookies, chocolate, and cupcakes! I mean, naturally children should only be allowed to have a sugar high as long as it accompanies a significant chunk of fat as well! Oh, and since when is chocolate not a candy?? Hello?!? What about M&M’s? Are those chocolate or candy? Does a candy coating preclude a chocolate-based confection from being included in a preschooler’s holiday party? I think we need equal rights for all holiday candies!

Deep breath.

Okay, I feel better now. What do you think? Leave a comment and let us know.

chocolate, Christmas, holidays, holiday, kids

Related Articles:

8 Responses to “The Chocolate/Candy Showdown”

1. 1
    Sila says:

I ran into this same problem at my daughter’s school a couple years ago. There are laws prohibiting foods with no nutritional value in public schools, so what they don’t want to see are things like hard candies, jelly beans, etc. Chocolate has been shown to have at least a small amount of nutritional value, so it is exempt from the “candy” category. And cakes, cupcakes, donuts, etc.? Those have ingredients (eggs, milk, wheat…) that are considered nutritious. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but there ya go.

2. 2
    Sera says:

I think candy is healther than cupcakes, doughnuts, chips, pretzels, etc. At least they’re consistent with their nutritional values and come pre portion controlled. Ugh. That irks me so much too. >:{

3. 3
    Natalie says:

thats sooo stupid! Then the your just feeding kids, sugar, AND saturated fats, and possibly trans fats. (the really bad kind, yet soooooo yummy!) Thats totally unreasonable.

4. 4
    Caitlin says:

What Sila says does make sense; there are schools in New Jersey where they scrape the frosting off of cupcakes at kids’ birthdays because it’s not healthy. However, this is a parochial school; the pre-k program is subsidized by the state/city, but I don’t know how much the school is affected by laws that apply to public schools. But to be realistic, I think the fats that are in the baked goods far outweigh the minimal nutritional value. If they’re going to have sweets, just skip the fats altogether and go straight to the sugar high!

5. 5
    that bees chick says:

That’s when you buck the system bake cookies with M&M’s in them, or mini cupcakes topped with a little icing and a whole baby ruth.

6. 6
    Brad says:

That other stuff like chocolate and cake has fats and other carbs. Candy is mostly pure sugar. The pure sugar leads to the most hyperactivity in children.

7. 7
    Natalie says:

Oooh smart idea bees chick…you could also do where you cook cupcakes or something, but you also press an un wrapped mini candy bar into the middle…no way of Completely removing it. :D

8. 8
    cookie says:

Maybe they are worried about choking hazards? I know not ALL candy is hard, but a lot of it is, and with that many small ones around…just a thought.