As a follow-up to the post about Skittlebrau (Skittles in beer), here is another put-candy-in-beverage-and-see-what-happens post….
Evidently, if you add Mentos to soda pop, the soda erupts like a geyser. I mean ERUPTS! The videos below show people doing it and the soda shoots out 10-15 feet from a 2-liter bottle of soda. I bet the first time someone accidentally figured this out there was a HUGE mess. This looks cool enough to try it myself (outside of course). I hate to waste Mentos, but this is in the name of science!
Here is an explanation from The Museum of Hoaxes:
Mentos contains a chemical known as ARABIC GUM (this is the ingredient that makes the mint “chewy”). This ingredient causes the surface tension of the water molecules to break even more easily, releasing more carbon dioxide gas at an astounding rate! …..The gas causes pressure to rapidly build inside the bottle which thrusts the soda upwards in a wonderful fountain-like BLAST!
Who knew Mentos could be such fun? Not only are they the Freshmaker, they are the Messmaker!
- Video of some newscasters trying it
- Video of a teen trying it with a 2-liter (sound is LOUD – turn down your volume first)
- Video of a teen trying it with a can of soda (not as impressive)
- Choreographed Mentos and soda explosions
- Full Explanation from Museum of Hoaxes
- Mentos website